Essay Topic Ideas Related To Beowulf: 24 Expert Suggestions
Choosing a great topic idea related to Beowulf can be hard, so we’ve gathered these 24 expert suggestions and best homework help websites to help you out:
- Describe the structure of the Beowulf medieval poem. How is it different from others of its time?
- Why do you think Beowulf must face each challenge (Grendel, Grendel’s mother, and the dragon) in a specific order?
- Do you think the structure of the poem relates in some way to the theme(s) of the work in its entirety?
- Why is ancestry and person’s lineage so important to the warriors and other characters in the play?
- How do the characters in the play respond to the many elements of gold as they appear throughout the poem?
- How important is the mead-hall culture and traditions among Anglo-Saxon warriors as presented in the poem?
- How is the structure of the fighting related to the epic theme in that each battle corresponds to a moral challenge?
- What role do you think the male-dominated or patriarchal history play in the place where Beowulf is set?
- Find examples in the play in which the proper relationship between lords and warriors directly affects the events?
- Discuss how Beowulf’s father’s debt of loyalty to Hrothgar binds Beowulf to a debt of loyalty to the king?
- Describe the role that religion plays in Beowulf. How is this symbolic of the societal beliefs in the culture from when the play was written?
- According to the poem what is the proper relationship between lords and warriors and how does this affect Beowulf’s decisions?
- What is the principle role that women play in the predominantly male-centered culture of the poem?
- How important is the role of treasure within the play and how does it affect characters’ actions throughout?
- How is the poem structured and what does this suggest about the kind of storytelling prevalent in Anglo-Saxon society?
- How do the several digressions that occur throughout the poem affect the main action and events of the story?
- Do you consider Beowulf to be a good hero or king in the poem? What characteristics does he possess or lack that determines this?
- Examine the poem and discuss some ways in which it portrays modern society. What are the common characteristics?
- What are the major themes that are explored in the poem and how do they represent a lot of the characteristics of the society?
- Is Beowulf a prideful hero or is his characterization reflective of contemporary images of what a hero should be?
- Can Beowulf be compared to any modern day fictional heroes? What challenges do modern heroes face that are similar?
- How does Beowulf portray the values, culture, and morals of Danish society of the time?
- Can Beowulf’s heroic journey be compared to those of the ancient Greek tragedies or are they too different to compare?
- What does the structure of the poem suggest about the way Danish society viewed heroic storytelling?
Looking for professional paper writer? Writers at My Paper Done write papers from scratch.